Shopping adventures and culinary delights in Rosemary Beach
LYSA ALLMAN-BALDWIN Special to the AmNews | 8/10/2011, 1:28 p.m.
I did, however, really enjoy myself at a handful of scrumptious spots in town, which each receive their own honorable mention. To start off your day, pep it up somewhere in the middle or wind down in casual style, be sure to visit Amavida Coffee-the name an amalgamation of the Spanish words "amar" (to love) and "vida" (life). The ambiance here is relaxed, welcoming and like spending time in a friend's living room with comfortable sofas, chairs, tables, bookshelves, art and, of course, delicious coffees, teas, pastries, wines and more.
Breakfast was a blast at Cowgirl Kitchen, a fun, Texas-style, "Beach meets West"-themed restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Start with "Eggs N Stuff" for choices including chorizo sausage, grits, portabella mushrooms and other options, a grilled veggie bagel or organic farm girl health start. Enjoy overstuffed sandwiches, wraps, tacos, salads, soups, pizzas and specialties for lunch or dinner. The interior is quaint, but the patio is where its at-right in the middle of the action along Main Street.
Another great outdoor option (with a fun and funky interior as well) is Summer Kitchen Cafe for fresh breakfast, lunch and dinner, including the spinach, portabella and grilled chicken salad, Kobe burger, grilled chicken and black bean roll-up, saffron lobster ravioli and Gulf shrimp saute.
Wild Olives is a market, bakery and deli offering fresh, gourmet foods for the road or to enjoy inside the restaurant or on their expansive outdoor patio-are you getting the al fresco theme here? The offerings are diverse, the portions are huge and the taste is delicious. A special nod goes to their gourmet flatbread pizzas-11-inch rounds of individual bites of heaven!
I said "oh yes, yes" at Onano Neighborhood Cafe, a wonderful beach town escape for upscale dining (dinner only). The shrimp and white beans were amazing, as was the lobster ravioli with mushrooms, pecorino and pinot grigio. Pork Milanese, chilled melon soup, filet mignon, pureed spring asparagus soup, and seared and braised grouper were among the other fabulous offerings.
Our last night in town, we dined royally at Restaurant Paradis. The "understated wine country elegance" is the perfect backdrop for the outstanding culinary creations, extensive wine offerings and earth-friendly sparkling and still waters here. Open for dinner only, the menu features a wide variety of excellent global flavors, including beef and blue cheese tortellini (yee ow!), coriander tuna, Oysters Rockefeller, curried filet and wild mushroom soup, a grilled romaine Caesar, veal marsala and stuffed shrimp paradis. For dessert, the mango cheesecake was amazing, as was the key lime crpe and chocolate mousse cake.
The topper for all of these fabulous meals was the opportunity to saunter around town on foot or bicycle and infuse it with the delightful Rosemary Beach vibe.
Until Next Time...
A unique, neo-traditional vacation town nestled between Panama City and Destin near the eastern end of Scenic Route 30-A, Rosemary Beach is a truly unbelievable experience!
Lysa Allman-Baldwin writes for numerous online and print publications, including as the cultural travel writer for www.Examiner.com and as a senior travel writer for SoulOfAmerica.com, an Afrocentric travel website. Lysa can be reached at email@example.com.
- Rosemary Beach: (866) 348-8952, www.rosemarybeach.com
- Amavida Coffee: (850) 231-1077, www.amavida.com
- Bombora Sun & Surf: (850) 278-2092
- Cowgirl Kitchen: (850) 303-0708, www.cowgirlkitchen.net
- Fitz & Emme: (850) 231-3200
- GiGi's Fabulous Kids' Fashion & Toys: (850) 231-0110, www.gigisfabkids.com
- Hissyfits Boutique: (850) 231-0311, hissyfitsboutique.blogspot.com
- Moonpize: (850) 231-1930, www.moonpize.com
- Onano Neighborhood Cafe: (850) 231-2436, www.onanocafe.com
- Pish Posh Patchoulis: (888) 862-3461, www.patchoulis.com
- Restaurant Paradis: (850) 534-0400, www.restaurantparadis.com
- Rosemary Beach Trading Company: (850) 231-2410, rbtradingcompany.com
- Solace Day Spa: (850) 231-6801, www.solacesalonspa.com
- Summer Kitchen Cafe: (850) 231-6264, www.theskcafe.com
- Tommy Crow Collections: (851) 231-1300, www.tommycrow.com
- Tracery: (851) 231-6755, www.traceryinteriors.com
- Wild Olives: (850) 231-0065, www.wildolivesmarket.com
- Willow World Six Gallery: (214) 641-1048