Harlem Week 2011 Events: 'A New York State of Mind'
8/11/2011, 12:17 p.m.
NYC Senior Citizens Day: "Elder's Jubilee"
- When: Tuesdays in Aug
- Times: 9, 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
- What: ndoor/outdoor expos and farmers market.
- Where: On the plaza and second floor of the Adam Clayton Powell Jr. State Office Building., West 125th Street and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard.
The Apollo Theater Salutes HARLEM WEEK
- When: Throughout August.
- What: Special events at Amateur Night including performances by special guests including the cast of "Mama, I Want to Sing" (Aug. 10), Punco and the Latin Soul Brothers and guest host Tamara Tunie. (Aug. 17), Alyson Williams (Aug. 24) and Johnny Kemp (Aug. 31). Also presenting college scholarships to deserving young New Yorkers (Aug. 17). Apollo historic tours connect the past, present and future. Tour director Billy Mitchell discloses little-known facts about the theater and the legendary people who have performed there.
- Reservations: Call (212) 531-5337 for reservations.
- Where: The Apollo Theater, 253 W. 125th St.
- More info: www.apollotheater.org
Golden Hoops at Rucker Park
- When: Thurs.-Sun., Aug. 11-14
- Time: 1-7 p.m.
- What: Showcasing the finest high school athletes, boys and girls, on the East Coast.
- Where: 155th Street and Frederick Douglass Boulevard.
- More info: call (212) 862-8477.
Afro-Latin Jazz/Salsa Festival
- When: Fri, Aug. 12
- Time: 6 p.m.
- What: Featuring the NJMH Afro-Cuban Allstars and Afro-Cuban legends Chocolate, Ray DePaz and Jimmy Bosh. Presented by the National Jazz Museum.
- Where: At the Leather Lounge, 454 W. 128th St. between Amsterdam and Convent avenues.
- More info: www.jazzmuseuminharlem.org
Entertainer's Basketball Classic
- When: Wed., Aug. 17 and Thurs., Aug. 18
- Time: 6 p.m
- What: Semi-finals and championship games.
- Where: At Rucker Park, 155th Street and Frederick Douglass Boulevard.
- More info: www.ebcsports.com
Tri-State Junior Tennis Classic
- When: Thurs.-Sun., Aug 18-21
- Time: 1-7 p.m.
- What: HARLEM WEEK , in concert with the U.S. Tennis Association and the U.S. Open, showcases the best up & coming boys & girls tennis talents in the region ages 12 to 18.
- Where: At the F. Johnson tennis courts, West 150th Street and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard.
- More info: call (212) 491-3738, www.harlemjuniortennis.org
"Summer in the City: Dancing in the Streets"
- When: Sat., Aug. 20
- Time: Part 1: 12-5 p.m. New York City Children's Festival, featuring Disney exhibits, games, arts & crafts, live music, dance, free health testing, exhibits and sports clinics. On West 135th Street between Malcolm X and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. boulevards.
- Time: Part 2: 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Senior citizen's swimming exercise and demonstrations by the Harlem Honeys & Bears for the whole family. Hansborough Recreation Center, West 135th Street between Malcolm X Boulevard and Fifth Avenue.
- Time: Part 3: 12-5 p.m. Historic Black College Fair, with over 50 Historically Black Colleges and Universities, public, private, city and state colleges and universities distributing information on admissions and scholarships. West 135th Street between Malcolm X and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. boulevards.
- Time: PART 4: 12-2 p.m. New Yorkers are "Dancing in the Street" to the Electric Slide, reggae, Latin and calypso music. West 135th Street and Frederick Douglass Boulevard.
- Time: Part 5: 2-3 p.m.
- Adult Fashion Flava show. 3-5 p.m. The "Quiet Storm," featuring Kola Nut with a special musical tribute to "Fela!" and the fabulous sounds of R&B great Jeff Redd
- Time: Part 6: 12-5 p.m. International exhibitors and vendors village featuring arts & crafts, music, clothing, jewelry, hats, sculpture, food, general exhibits, job recruitment, product sampling and corporate exhibits. West 135th Street between Malcolm X. and Frederick Douglass boulevards.