Imhotep's guide to black events
Imhotep Gary Byrd | 12/21/2011, 5:27 p.m.
Greetings! Attention! The National Action Network will present free holiday meals at the House of Justice Auditorium, 106 W. 145th St., at Lenox Avenue, on Christmas Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Pass the word!
We also welcome the creator of Kwanzaa and the Nguzo Saba, Dr. Maulana Karenga, to New York City to celebrate Kwanzaa 2011. See you at the world famous Apollo Theater for our Kwanzaa "Regeneration Nite"!
Merry Christmas and happy Kwanzaa!
- Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner Angela Bassett and Academy Award nominee Samuel L. Jackson star in the Broadway debut of "The Mountaintop," Katori Hall's Olivier Award-winning drama, directed by Tony Award nominee Kenny Leon ("Fences," "A Raisin in the Sun"). Featuring original music by Grammy Award-winning saxophonist and Tony Award nominee Branford Marsalis. At the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre, 242 W. 45th St. For tickets, visit Telecharge.com.
- "Black Angels Over Tuskegee," the story of the pioneering first African-American fighter pilots, now playing at the Actors Temple Theatre, 339 W. 47th St. between Eighth and Ninth avenues. For tickets, call (212) 239-6200 or visit www.telecharge.com.
- Alicia Keys presents "Stick Fly" ("When it comes to family...you're stuck"), a new play by Lydia R. Diamond, directed by Kenny Leon. Now playing at the Cort Theatre on Broadway, 138 W. 48th St., between Sixth and Seventh avenues. Join Keys for an intimate post-show conversation Sun., Jan. 8, 2012. For tickets, call (212) 239-6200 or visit www.telecharge.com.
- The Gershwins' "Porgy & Bess" on Broadway with its classic song repertoire, including "Summertime," "It Ain't Necessarily So" and "I Got Plenty of Nothing," featuring four-time Tony Award winner Audra McDonald, Drama Desk nominee Norm Lewis and two-time Tony nominee David Alan Grier. At the Richard Rodgers Theatre, 226 W. 46th St. Previews playing now; the production opens Jan. 12, 2012. For tickets and information, call (877) 250-2929 or visit www.porgyandbessonbroadway.com.
- Whoopi Goldberg's "Sister Act," the stage musical based on the 1992 movie of the same name, features funky, soulful songs by Alan Menken and Glenn Slater and the dynamic debut of Patina Miller. At the Broadway Theatre, 1681 Broadway. For more information, visit www.sisteractbroadway.com.
- "Mama, I Want to Sing: The Next Generation," by Vy Higginsen, with original music by Wesley Naylor. Now playing at the Dempsey Theater, 127 W. 127th St. between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. and Malcolm X boulevards. For more information and tickets, call (212) 868-4444 or visit www.smarttix.com or mamafoundation.org.
- B.B. King's Blues Club & Grill presents Kurtis Blow Fri., Dec, 23; The Wailers, Tues., Dec. 27; and Chuck Berry, "The Father of Rock 'n' Roll," on New Year's Eve, Sat., Dec. 31. 237 W. 42nd St. For more information, call (212) 997-4144 or visit www.bbkingblues.com.
- New Edition: one night only! Jan 1, 2012, at 8 p.m. at the Paradise Theatre, 2403 Grand Concourse in the Bronx. For more information and tickets, call (718) 220-1015, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.paradisetheatreevents.com.