Welcome to Celebrate Harlem Month and Garvey Month in the GBE!
7/28/2011, 11:23 a.m.
"Baby it's You" follows the creation and rise of the independent record company that gave sthe popular girl group the Shirelles, the Isley Brothers, Dionne Warwick, Chuck Jackson and more.
- Where: At the Broadhurst Theatre, 235 W. 44th St.
- More info: www.babyitsyouonbroadway.com.
"The Devil's Music: The Life and Blues of Bessie Smith."
- When: Now running
- Where:Broadway at St. Luke's Theater, 308 W. 46th St.
- Tickets: call (212) 239-6200 or visit www.stlukestheatre.com.
"Mama, I Want to Sing: The Next Generation," by Vy Higginsen, with original music by Wesley Naylor, directed by Ken Wydro.
- When: Now playing
- Where: the Dempsey Theater, 127 W. 127th St. between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. and Malcolm X boulevards.
- More info & tickets: www.mamafoundation.org.
"Sistas: The Musical" tells the story of African-American women through popular music. Using hit tunes from "God Bless the Child" to Destiny's Child, the musical traces the history of Black women, from the trials of the 1930s through the girl groups of the '60s to the empowerment of the '90s.
- When: July 11-31
- Where: the June Havoc Theatre, 312 W. 36th St., first floor, between Eighth and Ninth avenues.
- More info: www.sistasthemusical.com
FILM & ART
"Malcolm X: A Search for Truth" and "Romare Bearden: The Soul of Blackness-A Centennial Tribute" are on view now through
- When: Sat., Jan. 7. Tues.-Thurs. 12-6 p.m., Fri.-Sat. 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
- Where: the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, 515 Malcolm X. Blvd.
Morris Day and the Time
- When: Fri., July 29 at 8 and 10:30 p.m.
- Where: B.B. King's Blues Club & Grill, 237 W. 42nd St. between Seventh and Eighth avenues.
- More info: call (212) 997-4144 or visit www.bbkingblues.com.
Malian singer Oumou Sangare and Arab music savant Bassam Saba celebrate Brooklyn. New Orleans legend Dr. John, "The Nite Tripper"; The Godfather of Go Go, D.C.'s Chuck Brown; and Red Baraat will rock the Prospect Park Bandshell.
- Where: Prospect Park.
- Cost: FREE
- When: Fri., July 29 at 7:30 p.m. And on Sat., July 30
- More info: visit www.bricartsmedia.org
The Martin Luther King free concert series presents a special surprise guest.
- When: Aug. 1
- Where: Wingate Field on Brooklyn Avenue between Rutland Road and Winthrop Street in Crown Heights.
- More info: www.brooklynconcerts.com.
- Cost: FREE
Budweiser Superfest presents Grammy winner Jill Scott's "Summer Block Party." Scott will be joined by special guests Grammy-nominated R&B singer Anthony Hamilton and groove specialists Mint Condition, with music by DJ Jazzy Jeff, hosted by Doug E. Fresh.
- Where: Nikon at Jones Beach Theater. 1 Ocean Parkway, Wantagh, N.Y.
- When: Thurs., July 28 at 7 p.m.
- More info: call (516) 785-1600.
WBLS welcomes Keyshia Cole and friends
- Where: Paradise Theatre, 2403 Grand Concourse in the Bronx.
- When: Thurs., July 28 at 6:30 p.m. F
- More info: call (718) 220-1015 or visit www.paradisetheaterevents.com.
Harlem Week 2011 and 107.5 WBLS present a magical weekend of music: "Great Jazz on the Great Hill," presenting a multigenerational celebration of big band, jazz and swing dancing on the Great Hill in Central Park.
- Sat., July 30, 2-5 p.m. Central Park West from 103rd to 107th streets.
- Sun., July 31, 12-8:30 p.m. "A Great Day in Harlem," a day-long series of events at U.S. Grant National Memorial Park, West 122nd Street and Riverside Drive. From 1 to 3 p.m. is the "International Cultural Showcase" with the Millenium Dance Company, National Dance Institute, the African Chorus Ensemble and others; 3-4:30 p.m. is the "International Gospel Showcase" with Bishop Hezekiah Walker of WLIB; 4:30-5:30 p.m., is the "Fashion Fusion Showcase"; and from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
- Harlem Summer Stage presents a concert under the stars, a salute to international music legends the Jeff Foxx Band, Rahsaan Patterson, Dave Valentin and Johnny Gil, along with a special tribute to Gil Scott-Heron, hosted by Herb Boyd of the NY Amsterdam News and Free Speech TV and Imhotep Gary Byrd of WLIB-WBLS-WBAI and the NY Amsterdam News.
- More Harlem Week info: (877) 427-5364 toll free or visit www.harlemweek.com