Welcome to Celebrate Harlem Month and Garvey Month in the GBE!
7/28/2011, 11:23 a.m.
Newark Symphony Hall presents the "R&B Summer White Dance Concert," featuring the Legends of Soul-Ray Goodman & Brown (aka the Moments) and Blue Magic, hosted by comedian Willie Asbury (of HBO and the Apollo). Wear your best white gear.
- When: Sat., July 30, 9 p.m.-3 a.m.
- Where: At Newark Symphony Hall's Terrace Ballroom, 1020 Broad St., Newark, N.J.
- More info: (973) 643-8014 or visit www.ticketmaster.com
"Millions March in Harlem." The focus will be on the attack on African people on the continent and in the United States. Special guest speakers include Minister Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam; Father Miguel d'Escoto, former president of the U.N. General Assembly and former foreign minister of Nicaragua; Dr. Molefi Asante of Afrocentricity International; Viola Plummer of the December 12th Movement; NOI Minister Akbar Muhammad: and many others.
- When: Sat., Aug. 13
- Where: assembling on Malcolm X Boulevard at 110th Street at 10 a.m.
- More info: (718) 398-1766 or (347) 737-3272 or email info@MillionsMarchHarlem.org
The Coalition for Public Education sponsors "Parents Taking the Lead Institute," a weekly workshop series for parents taking place every. The workshops will examine policies, school closings, budget cuts and inequities within the system of public education.
- When: Thursday through the summer and is seeking participation of parent leaders whose children attend public schools in all areas of New York City.
- Where: DC 37 union hall at Murray Street and the West Side Highway in Manhattan.
- More info: (212) 362-6021 or (347) 785-3418.
The New York City Cabinet of the National Action Network presents its annual membership picnic. Beverages, fellowship, games, fun, park attractions, softball, track & field, children's play areas, swimming pool, and more!
- When: Sat., July 30 from 1 to 7 p.m.
- Where: Riverbank State Park, 679 Riverside Dr. at 145th St. Food
- Tickets: any NYC NAN cabinet member or call (212) 690-3070.
Hear Imhotep Gary Byrd
"Imhotep's On-Air Guide to Black Events" and "Express Yourself"
- Where: 107.5 WBLS-FM
- When: Sunday evenings from 6 to 8 p.m.
"The GBE Mind Flight"
- Where: WLIB-AM
- When: Sunday evenings from 7 p.m. to midnight (simulcast on WLIB-AM/WBLS-FM from 7-8 p.m.).
- Where: HD radio at WBLS-HD2.
GBE 2.0 "Global Black Experience" and "Global Beat Experience,"
- Where: WBAI-FM 99.5
- When: Saturdays from 5 to 7 p.m.
- More info: We are archived online with both shows at www.wbai.org. To reach us about your event, email firstname.lastname@example.org, find Imhotep Gary Byrd on Facebook or follow us on Twitter at GBELIFE.