Bike safety tips
5/26/2011, 11:51 p.m.
This week's Black New Yorker, Edward Rush, advises cycling as a way to get into shape. Bike riding can be a fun way to exercise if done safely. Here are some bike safety tips to consider when riding around the city.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Ride with traffic when on the street.
- Never ride on the sidewalk.
- Have reflectors on the back and the front of your bike.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Use bike lanes when provided.
- Stay to the right when riding on the street with traffic.
- Signal with hands to let vehicles know you are turning.
- At night, have a white light on the front of your bike and a red light on the back.
- Use a bell to let other cyclists and pedestrians know you are coming.