Updates from Vivica A. Fox, Slimm, Joe Frazier, Kelly Rowland, Beyonce, Drake and the Roots
Janet Jackson engaged?
- One of my favorite girls Vivica A. Fox and her now ex-fiance, Omar "Slimm" White, are on the current cover of Sister 2 Sister magazine. In the interview, Fox says she's in love with a Southern gentleman and they plan to get married during the holidays. Ironically, in Slimm's world, the two had broken up again and it was over. He found out about him and Fox being on the cover of the December issue and quickly ran out to get the magazine. After buying three copies, Slimm called publisher Jamie Foster Brown to say, "She reached out to me, but I had got to the point where I was tired, so I didn't try rekindling what we had." When asked if he and Fox could be friends, he added, "Probably eventually...the ego will destroy any relationship, and we had two strong people."
- Farewell to my dear friend Joe Frazier, who went on to glory after losing a short bout with liver cancer on Nov. 7. Sadly, the last time I saw him was in July at the funeral of another dear friend, Butch Lewis. Joe was in a wheelchair, but I didn't think anything of it. Many aging athletes have difficulty walking because of knee and hip injuries, so I thought that's what was wrong. My fondest memory of Joe is when I was Larry Holmes' publicist and doing work for the Holmes-Marvis Frazier fight. I took some reporters down to Philadelphia to Joe's gym to interview him and Marvis. Afterwards, Joe said, "Let's go to dinner at a hotel." We all piled in his limousine and, for some reason, he decided to get out of the limo. He threw the keys at me and said he would meet us at the hotel. There I was, having to drive a limo across a crowded Philly highway that I was unfamiliar with. When I got to that hotel, I threw the keys at the valet and asked, "Did Joe Frazier come in here?" He had just gone in. I was ready to put a worse whipping on him than George Foreman did, but all I could do was laugh. He used to call me and say: "This is Joe from Philadelphia." And, so he was. Rest in peace.
- Kelly Rowland spilled the beans on the gender of Beyonce and Jay-Z's first child. The longtime friend of Bey's told media outlets: "I have no idea what I'm going to buy Beyonce at the baby shower because Jay is going to buy that little girl every single thing possible." She added: "She won't be spoiled, but she will be very well looked-after. I'll be on hand for babysitting duties, and I'm actually very good with messy diapers."
- Drake and the Roots have been working together to launch the limited-edition OVO varsity jackets that we have been seeing Drizzy and his OVO crew wearing. According to his official blog, the gear is now available for purchase in Drake's hometown, Toronto, as well as in select retailers in New York City.
- The 2011 Glamour Awards were held on Nov. 7 in New York City, honoring some of the most influential women in the realm of fashion, arts and politics. Kerry Washington, La La Vasquez, Wendy Williams, Rachel Roy and more graced the red carpet at this exclusive event.