February 2012 dance calendar
CHARMAINE PATRICIA WARREN Special to the AmNews | 3/2/2012, 4:30 p.m.
Danspace Project's Platform 2012: "Parallels" series tops this month's dance calendar! On the vast roster, which covers the months of February and March, are iconic artists Ishmael Houston-Jones, curator of the entire series; Ralph Lemon; Jawole Willa Jo Zollar; Bebe Miller and Dean Moss; Blondell Cummings; Fred Holland; Gus Solomons Jr.; Reggie Wilson; Will Rawls; Isabel Lewis; Darrell Jones; Niall Noel Jones; Nicholas Leichter; Regina Rocke; Souleymane Badolo; Nora Chipaumire; Okwui Okpokwasili; Kyle Abraham; Marjani A. Forte; Stacy Spence; and Thomas F. DeFrantz.
Here's the calendar:
- Feb. 2: "The Artist's Voice with Ishmael Houston-Jones," a talk in collaboration with the Studio Museum in Harlem.
- Feb. 4: "The Protagonists: Documents of Dance and Debate," a film screening curated by Rawls.
- Feb. 9-11: A shared evening of combined investigation titled and presented by Lewis and Rawls.
- Feb. 16-18: "Three Evenings" curated by Zollar, Miller and Moss, featuring "Black Jam," "Where We're Calling From" and "Black Dance," respectively.
- Feb. 23-25: "From the Streets, From the Clubs, From the Houses," featuring works by Darrell Jones, Niall Noel Jones, Leichter and Rocke.
And much more is scheduled for the month of March. For more information, visit www.danspaceproject.org.
Also this month:
- Feb. 2 and 5: Sacred Space Dance performs as part of the CoolNY2012 Festival at the John Ryan Theater in Brooklyn. For more information, visit www.whitewavedance.com.
- Feb. 3-4: New York Live Arts' Studio Series presents Antonio Ramos completing his 100-hour creative residency with a work-in-process showing of "EN LA ARENA NO TODO ES ROSADO/IN THE ARENA NOT EVERYTHING IS PINK." For more information, visit www.newyorklivearts.org.
- Feb. 3-5: Hattie Mae Williams and the Tattooed Ballerinas in "Still Movement," a performance art piece at FiveMyles Gallery in Brooklyn. For more information, visit www.thetattooedballerinas.com.
- Feb. 4: Renegade Performance Group presents a site-specific movement installation at Brooklyn Museum in response to the exhibit "Question Bridge: Black Males." For more information, visit www.renegadepg.com.
- Feb. 18: The ever-popular Philadelphia dance company Philadanco! returns to NJPAC for one night only. For information, visit www.njpac.org.
- Feb. 10-11: New York Live Arts' Studio Series presents Sidra Bell completing her 100-hour creative residency with a work-in-process showing. For more information, visit www.newyorklivearts.org.
- Feb. 25: The 92nd Street Y presents Leilah Broukhim Flamenco in "Dejano Huellas (Tarces)." For more information, call (212) 415-5500 or visit www.92Y.org.
To be listed, send press releases to Amnewsdancecalendar@comcast.net.