November Dance Calendar
CHARMAINE PATRICIA WARREN Special to AmNews | 11/1/2012, 12:11 p.m.
For more information, visit www.bam.org or call 718-636-4100.
- Nov. 3 to 9: "BAAD! The Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance's 2012 BlakTinx Performance Series" continues with Mexico's Robert Robles Dance Company with the premiere of "De Ja Vu" and Toni Renee Johnson's Maverick Dance Experience in "Reference Point." For more information, visit www.BronxAcademyofArtsAndDance.org or call 718-842-5223.
- Through Nov 4: Performance artist and independent curator Whitney V. Hunter's "Site Project," an exhibition and performance that explores identity in the African Diaspora in association with LIU Brooklyn's Kumble Theater and Humanities gallery. For more information, visit www.kumbletheater.org or call 718- 488-1624.
Also this Month:
- Nov. 3 and 4: Roberto Villanueva, founder/artistic director of BalaSole Dance Company, presents "Voces," a new program of 10 dancer/choreographers, continuing his edict to present works through his multi-ethnic organization that would open its doors to underrepresented dance artists from various backgrounds. For more information, visit www.balbasoledance.org.
- Nov. 4: Calpulli Mexican Dance Company in "Dia de los Muertos," as part of the Latin American Cultural Week at the Schimmel Center for the Arts in Manhattan. For more information, visit www.lacw.net.
- Nov. 9: Also part of the Latin American Cultural Week's presentations, "Glamour Tango," an all-female show that pays tribute to the women of tango. For more information, visit www.lacw.net.
- Nov. 10: The concert following the seventh annual Wofave African Dance and Drum Festival, sponsored by Umoja Dance Company and Newark Symphony Hall, and hosted by Dr. Chuck Davis, will feature performances by Harambee Dance Company, Wula Drum & Dance Company, Restoration Youth Arts Academy and the Newark Dance Ensemble. For more information, visit www.wofabe.com\or call 973-280-2294.
- Nov. 11: Sidra Bell Dance NY revisits older works and presents some new works as part of the 92nd Street Y's "Sundays at Three" series. For more information, visit www.92Y.org/harknessfestival or call 212-415-5500.
- Nov. 28 to Dec. 30: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater returns for its annual month-long season. Premieres and new productions include Kyle Abraham's "Another Night," Jii Kylian's "Petite Mort," Garth Fagan's "From Before," Ohad Naharin's "Minus 16," Paul Taylor's "Arden Court," Rennie Harris' "Home," Ronald K. Brown's "Grace," artistic director Robert Battle's "Strange Humors" and many Ailey classics including "Revelations." A special farewell evening to longtime company member of more than three decades Renee Robinson is slated for Dec. 9. For more information, visit www.alvinailey.org or call 212-581-1212.
To be listed, send press release to Amnewsdancecalendar@comcast.net