Mom suing NYPD for pepper-spraying family, including her 5-month-old baby

Trudy Tomlinson Special to the AmNews | 4/4/2013, 5:10 p.m.

Three NYPD Officers are being sued for pepper-spraying a family, including three children - a five-month baby, a two-year old and a four-year old.

Marilyn Taylor's attorney filed a lawsuit last month against New York City and NYPD Officers Maripily Clase, Suranjit Dey and Jermaine Hodge for the incident, which happened August 9, 2012 on a New York City subway platform.

According to the suit, Taylor claimes that the three officers approached her after they suspecting that she did not pay her fare after she used the service entrance rather than the turnstile to push the stroller carrying her 2-year-old daughter.

Taylor was preparing to board a Manhattan-bound L train when she was approached. The complaint states, "The aggressiveness of the officers' demeanors had upset the four-old daughter, and her mother bent down to console her and tell her, 'Everything will be Ok."

That is when Officer Dey proceeded to pepper-spray her, causing her to fall to her knees and nearly fall from the platform, the lawsuit alleges. Taylor also claims the spray hit every member of her family.

"The pepper-spray caused the children to scream out and choked the two-year old, who went into fits of vomiting," states the suit. The pepper spray also struck Taylor's husband, who suffered from pain and discoloration to his left eye.

Taylor claims officers then placed her in handcuffs while her children cried in fear and pain. Officers then proceeded to push her down the stairs so roughly that the handcuffs bruised her on her wrists and lower back.

Taylor's husband was then left alone to comfort their three scared and crying children. Taylor was brought to Central Bookings for her arraignment, and was she released the following day.

Since the incident, the suit alleges that "mother and father suffered ongoing eye injuries an all three children suffer emotional and psychological trauma." "The four year-old cried herself to sleep for weeks an after the incident the two-year-old began waking up in the night crying for her mother."

The suit also alleges that the children are also afraid to ride the subway when they see police officers. The family continued to be harassed by the officers, forcing them to avoid the Atlantic Avenue stop.

Police have yet to respond to comment.