Community Calendar August 22nd
Imhotep Gary Byrd | 8/22/2013, 11:47 a.m. | Updated on 8/22/2013, 11:47 a.m.
Greetings! Many thanks to the brothers and sisters who joined us this past weekend and tuned in to “Support in the Key of Life,” a “Webb-a-Thon” online medical fundraiser at www.kenwebb.com, for my son, Khamit Byrd. The event was sponsored by Ken “Spider” Webb, the BulLion Foundation and friends and was held at the Harlem State Office Building.
The webcast featured radio legend and filmmaker Bob Law; New York City radio legends and WBLS alumni Ken Webb, G. Keith Alexander, Johnny Allen, Vaughn Harper and Lenny Green; current WBLS “Quiet Storm” host Roy Ayers; my Pisces sista Alyson Williams; broadcast partner Vinette K. Pryce; Don Thomas of the New York Beacon; Bishop Xavier Eikerenkoetter of United Palace Cathedral; Daa’iya L. Sanusi and Jeanne Parnell of WHCR-FM; TV journalist and author Julian Phillips and his wife; inspirational jazz vocalist Barabara King; “Soul-Patrol” founder Bob Davis; Barbara King; Nana Camille Yarbrough; and many more friends. The atmosphere was filled with much love—both on location and online. We were all moved.
We also note the passing of influential essayist, critic and novelist Albert Murray, who died on Sunday at his home in Harlem. He was 97.
- “Motown: The Musical,” with book written by Berry Gordy Jr. and featuring 2013 Tony nominee Valesia LeKae as Diana Ross, Tony nominee Charl Brown as Smokey Robinson and Brandon Dixon as Berry Gordy, is now playing at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, 205 W. 46th St. (between Eighth Avenue and Broadway). For tickets, visit www.ticketmaster.com and www.motownthemusical.com.
- “The Trip to Bountiful,” directed by Michael Wilson and featuring Oscar winner Cuba Gooding, Tony nominees Vanessa Williams and Condola Rashad and legendary three-time Emmy Award winner and 2013 Tony Award winner Cicely Tyson, is now playing at the Sondheim Theatre, 124 W. 43rd St. For more information or tickets, call 800-901-4092 or visit www.newyorkcitytheatre.com.
- “Kinky Boots,” featuring 2013 Tony Award winner Billy Porter, is now playing at the Al Hirschfield Theatre, 302 W. 45th St. For more information, call 866-276-4887 or visit www.broadway.com/shows/kinkyboots.
- Listen to some classic soul from Gladys Knight and the O’Jays at New Jersey Performing Arts Center, 1 Center St., Newark, N.J., on Friday, Aug. 23 at 8 p.m. For more information, visit wbls.com/events or www.njpac.org.
- New York City diva-legend Melba Moore will perform with Andre Ward at B.B. King Blues Club in Times Square on Friday, Aug. 23 at 8 p.m. For more information, go to www.bbkingsblues.com.
- Pastor Donnie McClurkin and local area pastors present the10th anniversary of the “New York Call” at the Nikon at Jones Beach Theater on Saturday, Aug. 24 at 11 a.m. There will be two stages and two concerts that will feature Bishop Hezekiah Walker, J.J. Hairston and others. There will also be an empowerment pavilion with free health screenings and giveaways. Inspirational messages will be delivered by Stephen Baldwin, Lowell Hawthorne and others. Free admission and parking! For more information, visit www.wbls.com/events.
- The funky, brilliant vibraphonist Roy Ayers is coming on Tuesday, Aug. 27 to the Blue Note, 121 W. Third St. For more information, call 212-475-8592 or visit www.bluenotejazz.com.