Community Calendar August 22nd
Imhotep Gary Byrd | 8/22/2013, 11:47 a.m. | Updated on 8/22/2013, 11:47 a.m.
- End the summer on a high note with a Smooth Cruise and the wonderful Phil Perry aboard New York’s premier summer jazz series! Join us on Wednesday, Aug. 28 at 6:30 p.m. or 9:30 p.m. aboard the Spirit of New York to say farewell to summer. For more information, visit www.wbls.com.
- “Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” based on the true story of White House butler Eugene Allen, who served seven successive presidents, is in theaters now. The film features Oscar winner Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey, among others. Check your local listings.
- “2 Guns,” starring Denzel Washington, is out in theaters everwhere. Check your local listings.
- “Fruitvale Station” is now playing in select theaters. Check your local listings.
- The 50th anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom is coming this weekend, on Saturday, Aug. 24! It will not only be a commemoration, but a continuation of the efforts made 50 years ago. Join the march and “Realize the Dream.” Bus options are limited, but you can visit www.nationalactionnetwork.net for more information
- Greater Harlem Chamber of Commerce, WBLS and WLIB present the Percy Sutton Harlem 5K Run/Anti-Gun Violence Walk on Saturday, Aug. 24. The event is a citywide effort to bring us all together to combat gun violence, bullying and domestic violence and to encourage citywide unity to bring about peace in our communities. This year, the walk is also in honor of the 50th anniuersary of the March on Washington. Event registration begins at 6 a.m. Run start time is at 8:30 a.m., and walk start time is at 10 a.m. 135th Street and St. Nicholas (Malcolm X Boulevard). For more information, call 212-423-22886 or visit www.Harlemweek.com.
Hear Imhotep Gary Byrd on 107.5 WBLS-FM daily with “Imhotep’s On-Air Guide to Black Events” and “Express Yourself,” Sunday evenings from 7-9 p.m., and on WLIB-AM with “The GBE Mind Flight,” Sunday evenings from 9 p.m. to midnight. The full show can be heard on HD radio at WBLS-HD2. IGB is also heard on WBAI-FM 99.5 with Radio GBE: The “Global Black Experience” and “Global Beat Experience,” Saturdays from 5-7 p.m. We are archived online with both shows at www.wbai.org. To contact us for bookings or to reach us about your event, email email@example.com, find Imhotep Gary Byrd on Facebook, follow us on Twitter @GBELIFE or call 212-592-3279.