Imhotep's guide to black events August 16-23
Imhotep Gary Byrd | 6/6/2013, 4:47 p.m.
- "Harlem Week 2012: Where the World Meets the World," with over 100 events and over 2 million attendees! Still to come: "Summer in the City" on Saturday, Aug. 18, the Children's Festival on Saturday, Aug. 18 and Sunday, Aug. 19, plus Harlem Day on Sunday, Aug. 19. For general inquiries, call 877-427-5364. For schedule and vendor info, visit www.harlemweek.com for more info.
- Join the Greater Harlem Chamber of Commerce, New York Road Runners, WLIB and WBLS on Sat., Aug. 25 for the Family Health Walk for Peace in Our Communities, a citywide peace walk to bring us together to combat gun violence, encourage citywide unity and bring about peace in our communities. Everyone is invited to participate! For more information and to register, visit www.nyrr.org or call 212-423-2286.
- Sistas' Place presents a big band concert benefit on Friday, Aug. 17 featuring the Charles Tolliver Big Band and a spoken word reading by famed poet-activist Amiri Baraka. Performances are 8 and 10 p.m. at 966 Fulton St. in Brooklyn. Call 718-398-1766 or go to www.sistaplace.org. Tickets are available at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/265811.
- CEMOTAP, the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network and the Global Black Experience team up on Sat., Aug. 18 at 2 p.m. at CEMOTAP headquarters, 135-05 Rockaway Blvd. in South Ozone Park, Queens, for a tribute and fundraiser for the gravely ill GBE producer J.D. Livingston, currently receiving chemotherapy. J.D. has been unable to continue his work with NAN and the GBE for several months now. It is time for co-workers, fellow organization members and the community at large to acknowledge the work of this behind-the-scenes community warrior. Free admission. For more information or directions, call 718-322-8454.
- Pastor Donnie McClurkin and the Perfecting Faith Church Family invite you to join them for "Church Without Walls!!!" Bring family members and friends and meet at the Western Beef parking lot at 332 Nassau Road in Roosevelt, Long Island, every Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m., now through Aug. 26. Live music, praise dancing and fun for the entire family, free! All are welcome to come celebrate, dance and experience an exciting summer of kingdom building, community outreach and the powerful word of God. For more information, call 516-223-8300 or visit www.perfectingfaith.org.
Hear Imhotep Gary Byrd on 107.5 WBLS-FM daily with "Imhotep's On-Air Guide to Black Events" and "Express Yourself," Sunday evenings from 6 to 8 p.m., and on WLIB-AM with "The GBE Mind Flight," Sunday evenings from 7 p.m. to midnight (simulcast on WLIB-AM/WBLS-FM from 7-8 p.m.). The full show can be heard on HD radio at WBLS-HD2. IGB is also heard on WBAI-FM 99.5 with the GBE 2.0 "Global Black Experience" and "Global Beat Experience," Saturdays from 5 to 7 p.m. We are archived online with both shows at www.wbai.org. To reach us about your event, email email@example.com, find Imhotep Gary Byrd on Facebook or follow us on Twitter at GBELIFE.