A Weekend of Terror in NYC: 25 People shot in 48 Hours
Mahogany Linebarger Special to the AmNews | 6/13/2013, 1:56 p.m.
Over the span of 48-hours, from Friday to Sunday, in the hottest weekend of the season so far, there were numerous shootings throughout NYC that left 25 people either wounded or killed by the violence.
According to police and hospital reports, twelve people were shot in Brooklyn, eight in the Bronx, and four in Queens and one in Manhattan, according to the New York Daily News. In the two days gun violence a total of six people were killed.
In Brooklyn, in front of a Bedford-Stuyvesant apartment building, three male bystanders were wounded along with two police officers in the shoot-out that left eleven year old, Tayloni Mazyck paralyzed. Police are searching for 30-year-old suspect, Kevon Brown.
In the Bronx, 15-year-old Sarah Rivera was shot in the leg as she pushed a baby stroller to safety after hearing gunshots ring out on Saturday.
Victims killed in shootings include:
- Ivan Martinez, 21, who was approached Sunday around 3:25 a.m. by a 20-year-old gunman and a woman at E. 139th St. near Brook Ave. in the Bronx
- A man in his 40s was gunned down during an argument in East Harlem Sunday around 1:20 p.m. The victim, who has not been identified by police
- Damien Powell, 25, was killed after he was shot in the chest outside the Albany Houses in Crown Height
- Terrance Davis, 24, of the Bronx was killed after he was shot multiple times Friday night on W. Burnside Ave
- Antonio Wilson, 23, was fatally blasted in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn
- 39-year-old Damion Riley was shot twice and died on E. 48th St. in East Flatbush.
This weekends tallied violence represents 5% of this year's 440 shootings. This is a 23% drop from last year's 574 victims shot by this time.