Imhotep's guide to black events 2/22-27/13
Imhotep Gary Byrd | 5/31/2013, 12:39 p.m.
- Metropolitan Museum presents "African Art-New York & Avante-Garde," Thursday, Sept. 8. Visit www.metmuseum.org.
- The legendary Harlem Globetrotter's World Tour, with the first female Globetrotter in 20 years, Fatima "TNT" Maddox. Appearances at multiple New York and New Jersey locations. For more info and schedule information, visit www.harlemglobetrotters.com/tickets.
- Medgar Evers College presents its 2013 Black History Month Celebration, "Black Consciousness: Past, Present and Future at the Crossroads," showcasing educational, political and cultural programs bringing significant events to life for students, faculty, staff and the community featuring panels, readings, films, author talks and performances. For a full schedule and more information, visit www.mec.cuny.edu or call 718-270-6050.
- The Office of Councilman Charles Barron is launching the "East New York African Burial Ground Initiative." Street renamings are also part of the plan, as Schenck Street, for example, was named after the largest slaveholder in all of Brooklyn. The new proposed name is "African Burial Ground Square"! All are invited to join in this launch/advocacy celebration and historical educational forum, Saturday, Feb. 23, 2 to 5 p.m., New Lots Community Church, 612 New Lots Ave. at Barbey St. in Brooklyn. For more information, contact the Office of Councilman Barron at 718-649-9495.
- Taui Network and Ausar Auset Society hosts a "Black History Month Celebration" on Saturday, Feb. 23, from noon to 5 p.m. Dynamic workshops and lectures celebrating 40 years of Kamitic Spirituality and History. Highlights of the day include book signing and lecture by Ra Un Nefer Amen from his new book, "Not Out of Greece." Ausar-Auset Temple, 626 Flatbush Ave., Brooklyn. Delicious vegetarian food on sale at Tchefa Health Food Restaurant. Workshops are for the entire family. For the full schedule and event fees, email Blackhistory @kamithistory.com or call Taui at 718-469-3199 Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., or visit www.BlogTalkRadio .com/Taui (scroll down for all details).
Hear Imhotep Gary Byrd on 107.5 WBLS-FM daily with "Imhotep's On-Air Guide to Black Events" and "Express Yourself," Sunday evenings from 6 to 8 p.m., and on WLIB-AM with "The GBE Mind Flight," Sunday evenings from 7 p.m. to midnight (simulcast on WLIB-AM/WBLSFM from 7-8 p.m.). The full show can be heard on HD radio at WBLS-HD2. IGB is also heard on WBAIFM 99.5 with the GBE 2.0 "Global Black Experience" and "Global Beat Experience," Saturdays from 5 to 7 p.m. We are archived online with both shows at www.wbai.org. To reach us about your event, email email@example.com, find Imhotep Gary Byrd on Facebook or follow us on Twitter at GBELIFE or call 212-592-3279.