George Zimmerman arrested for alleged domestic dispute
11/18/2013, 3:40 p.m.
Reports indicate that George Zimmerman was arrested Monday and charged with aggravated assault after pointing a gun at his new girlfriend.
What You Need To Know
- Zimmerman arrested Monday after alleged domestic disturbance with new girlfriend
- Threatened his ex-wife and her father with a gun in September, no charges filed
- Ex-wife said in September she has doubts about Zimmerman's innocence in Trayvon Martin case
- Zimmerman has been stopped for speeding twice since being acquitted
- His attorney from the Trayvon Martin trial no longer represents him
News outlets from Florida report that Zimmerman was taken to Seminole Country Jail. In a press release, the sheriff’s office said he had been arrested for a domestic violence situation with his girlfriend Monday afternoon.
“Deputies responded to a disturbance call," the release said.
Zimmerman is best known for killing unarmed, Black 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in 2012. In a case that received national attention and sparked a conversation on race, Zimmerman was found not guilty for the killing while working neighborhood watch because of Florida's Stand Your Ground Law.
Since the verdict Zimmerman has had run-ins with the law including being stopped in his car for speeding and police finding a gun in his vehicle. In September, Zimmerman's ex-wife called law enforcement after he threatened her and her father with a gun while she was moving her belongings. No charges we filed in that incident.