The hotel maid accusing former International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn of rape met with prosecutors from the Manhattan D.A.’s office on Wednesday. The meeting comes just days after she made her side of the story public.
Guinean immigrant Nafissatou Diallo came out earlier this week with her side of the story, disputing the allegation that she changed her story about her accusations against the former IMF chief. Speaking to Newsweek and ABC News, she said she wants to see Strauss-Kahn go to jail.
In an interview with journalist Robin Roberts on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” the 32-year-old woman said Strauss-Kahn touched her inappropriately and forced her to perform oral sex on him.
She also said that at the time she accused Strauss-Kahn of the attack, she did not know who he was until she saw him on television.
“I said, ‘They’re going to kill me.’ I said, ‘They’re going to kill me, I’m going to die,’” Diallo said. “I know if that was my country-he’s a powerful man like that, they’re going to kill me before someone knows.”
Attorneys for Strauss-Kahn maintain that Diallo is trying to get money out of Strauss-Kahn over the incident and that any sexual contact was consensual. They are moving to have the case dismissed.
Diallo’s attorney, Kenneth Thompson, said that all of Diallo’s accusations about the sexual assault are true, and are backed up with DNA evidence.
Strauss-Kahn was due back in court on Aug. 1, but that date has been moved to Aug. 23 in order for prosecutors to perform further investigation.
“The D.A.’s office really wants to dismiss this case, but they can’t because the evidence is so strong and she is so believable,” said City Councilman Charles Barron, who attended a rally for Diallo outside the Manhattan Criminal Court last week. “So now the D.A. is trying to give himself more time to work on this case. Dominque Strauss-Kahn should be in jail, period.”