Free tuition and housing for select high school students from across the country
High school students from across the country will participate this July in a new summer honors institute at LIU Brooklyn that immerses the students in a field of study and gives them a taste of college life.
The Summer Honors Institute @ LIU, which includes two one-week intensive courses at LIU Brooklyn, is an exciting series of programs for highly motivated students who will be seniors in high school this fall. The 50 students chosen for each intensive will receive free university housing and tuition to either Next Generation Entrepreneurship, conducted by LIU Brooklyn’s business school, or the Health Professions Academy, conducted by the School of Health Professions.
Applicants must be nominated by their school principal or guidance counselor. The program gives the students the unique opportunity to work closely with college professors and gain invaluable experience through hands-on projects and field trips.
“Drawing on the vast professional and cultural resources of our prime New York locations, these one-week intensives will enable students to immerse themselves in one of four fields of study,” LIU Vice President for Academic Affairs Jeffrey Kane said. “Students will get a taste of college life–both in the classroom and through fun activities planned for their downtime–while exploring their interests and career goals.”
The Summer Honors Institute @ LIU also includes two one-week courses, the Business Leadership Summit and the Musical Theatre Conservatory, July 7-12 at LIU Post in Brookville, Long Island.
The deadline for nominations is June 14.
One-week intensives at LIU Brooklyn:
Next Generation Entrepreneurship @ LIU Brooklyn, July 14-19
Build a business developing and marketing mobile apps.
* Create a mobile application to address the needs of a local entrepreneur.
* Learn how to launch an app on iTunes or in the Android marketplace.
* Study with distinguished computer science and business faculty.
* Go on field trips to start-ups in Brooklyn’s Technology Triangle.
Health Professions Academy @ LIU Brooklyn, July 21-26
Experience what it’s like to be a health care professional.
* Hands-on explorations in primary care, physical therapy and athletic training, respiratory care, sonography, occupational therapy, sport management and more.
* State-of-the-art resources include motion capture and patient-care simulation labs.
* Field trip to the Barclays Center, home of the Brooklyn, Nets and visits to community health sites.