The heat surrounding the FIFA organization’s corruption charges finally got too much for FIFA President Sepp Blatter to handle. Blatter announced on Tuesday that he would resign his position.

Although surprising, Blatter’s announcement makes sense given the seriousness of the charges against the FIFA governing body. Last Monday, The New York Times published a report stating that 14 people were indicted on charges ranging from racketeering to bribery. Blatter wasn’t named in the indictments.

“While I have a mandate from the membership of FIFA, I do not feel that I have a mandate from the entire world of football – the fans, the players, the clubs, the people who live, breathe and love football as much as we all do at FIFA,” Blatter said in his official statement.

The announcement comes hours after more damaging reports against FIFA. Secretary General Jérôme Valcke previously denied allegations that he authorized a $10 million transfer to bribe voters to choose South Africa as the host of the 2010 World Cup. Valck claimed that he doesn’t even have the power to do so. A document uncovered by the Press Association’s Chief Sports Reporter Martyn Ziegler (pictured on the left) suggests otherwise.

Despite the week-long maelstrom, Blatter was re-elected for a fifth term last Friday. The next FIFA congress was scheduled to take place on May 13, 2016 at Mexico City, but Blatter said he asked FIFA to reconvene earlier to determine his successor.