(ARA) – Healthy skin is a Hollywood staple and getting a gorgeous look does not need to take a team of professionals. Instead, the key to looking like a star starts with a healthy lifestyle.
Ninety-two percent of women say living a healthy lifestyle is important and they spend 1.7 hours a week reading or talking about having a healthier lifestyle, according to market research company Mintel.
Celebrity dermatologist Dr. Jody Levine of Plastic Surgery and Dermatology of NYC, who recently partnered with Dial Lotions, offers simple tips to achieve star-worthy skin and your own healthy glow:
How to care for skin on the inside:
* Exposure to smoke, sun and other toxins can result in free radical damage, leaving skin looking dull. To combat this, eat foods rich in antioxidants vitamins A, C and E, such as green tea, blueberries and pomegranates.
* You’ve probably heard that omega-3 is good for your heart, but did you know it’s also essential for skin health as a way to restore your natural glow? Most commonly found in fish, omega-3 also comes from walnuts and flax.
* Amino acids act as an excellent anti-aging source because they help lock in moisture and keep skin hydrated. Look for amino acids in proteins such as eggs and turkey, and in onions and almonds for a healthy dose of this essential building block.
* Plenty of sleep and hydration is also necessary for glowing skin. According to doctors, eight is the magic number – eight hours of sleep and eight glasses of water a day. This helps lower stress and flushes the system of toxins that build up throughout the day.
How to care for skin on the outside:
* Damaging UV rays are present year-round. Therefore, it’s important to wear sunscreen even in winter when the sun is at its weakest. UV exposure is the leading cause of skin cancer, which is the most common form of cancer in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
* Skin craves a daily dose of vitamins to keep it looking healthy. Choose a moisturizing product like Dial NutriSkin Lotion, which is fortified with a unique BioNutrient complex that provides skin with a customized daily dose of nutrition. This complex includes a blend of vitamins, minerals and nutrients tailored to combat different skin needs. The result: healthier skin in three days.
* A daily cleanser is important to remove makeup and any buildup that accumulates throughout the day. Choose a cleanser that is gentle and non-drying. When dealing with breakouts, stay away from spot treatments and using products that contain alcohol and benzoyl peroxide. Instead, use an all-over toner so that you don’t create dry patches.
* If you’re concerned about the effects of aging, an over-the-counter retinol may help. Apply beneath your moisturizer to decrease signs of aging.
Follow Dial at www.Facebook.com/Dial and via twitter at @DialNutriSkin for a daily dose of mind, body and lifestyle tips.