This week’s Black New Yorker, Edward Rush, advises cycling as a way to get into shape. Bike riding can be a fun way to exercise if done safely. Here are some bike safety tips to consider when riding around the city.
– Always wear a helmet.
– Ride with traffic when on the street.
– Never ride on the sidewalk.
– Have reflectors on the back and the front of your bike.
– Obey all traffic laws.
– Use bike lanes when provided.
– Stay to the right when riding on the street with traffic.
– Signal with hands to let vehicles know you are turning.
– At night, have a white light on the front of your bike and a red light on the back.
– Use a bell to let other cyclists and pedestrians know you are coming.