In the days leading up to the Academy Awards, though a lot of commentary focused on newcomer Lupita Nyong’o and her stylish fashion, there seemed to be a collective holding-of-breath while waiting for Oscar night. Would Nyong’o nab the Best Supporting Actress statue? Would “12 Years a Slave” and its brutally honest depiction of Solomon Northup’s enslavement win for Best Picture?
Both Nyong’o and the film were winners at Sunday’s Academy Awards. Yale School of Drama grad Nyong’o became only the 7th Black woman to win an Academy Award for her portrayal of Patsey, while “12 Years a Slave” director Steve McQueen became the first Black man to ever win an Academy Award for Best Picture.
In an industry where diversity is still hard to come by, these types of wins are not only historic, but extremely important. Hopefully, wins like this will continue the work to deepen and multiply the roles that are offered to Black actors.
Congratulations to all who were nominated and all who won! Look below for a complete list of winners from last night’s 86th Annual Academy Awards.
Winners of the 86th Annual Academy Awards
- Best Picture: “12 Years a Slave”
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: Matthew McConaughey (“Dallas Buyers Club”)
- Best Actress in a Leading Role: Cate Blanchett (“Blue Jasmine”)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Jared Leto (“Dallas Buyers Club”)
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Lupita Nyong’o (“12 Years a Slave”)
- Best Animated Feature: “Frozen”
- Best Cinematography: “Gravity”
- Best Costume Design: “The Great Gatsby”
- Best Directing: “Gravity” (Alfonso Cuarón)
- Best Documentary Feature: “20 Feet from Stardom”
- Best Documentary Short: “The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life”
- Best Film Editing: “Gravity”
- Best Foreign Language Film: “The Great Beauty” (Italy)
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling: “Dallas Buyers Club”
- Best Original Score: “Gravity”
- Best Original Song: ‘Let It Go’ – “Frozen”
- Best Production Design: “The Great Gatsby”
- Best Animated Short Film: “Mr. Hublot”
- Best Live Action Short Film: “Helium”
- Best Sound Editing: “Gravity”
- Best Sound Mixing: “Gravity”
- Best Visual Effects: “Gravity”
- Best Adapted Screenplay: “12 Years a Slave” (John Ridley)
- Best Original Screenplay: “Her” (Spike Jonze)