Most of us don’t often think about making French fries at home because of their wide availability at restaurants. If this resonates, allow yucca fries to take their place as a delicious and healthier at-home option. These yucca fries make an excellent substitute for French fries with their soft, creamy interior and lightly crisped exterior. The use of gluten free flour is an added bonus for many. Also, an Asian-inspired dipping sauce sans mayonnaise will surely please a good deal, as it is light with just the right touch of spice. These yucca fries are the perfect side dish to a burger or simply on its own as a snack.
Yucca Fries Recipe
Yields 4 – 6
Ingredients for yucca fries:
● 1 large 15-inch yucca, peeled, chopped in three 5-inch lengths, then chopped in half
● 2 cups gluten free flour
● 2 scallion stems, thinly sliced, as garnish
● 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced, as garnish
● Spice Mix: 1 tsp creole spice mix, 1 tsp dried Italian herbs, ½ tsp salt, to taste
● 6 cups canola oil
Ingredients for Asian-inspired dipping sauce:
● 1 tbsp brown sugar
● 1 tbsp rice vinegar
● 1 tbsp tamari sauce
● 1 tsp black bean garlic sauce
● 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
● 1 tsp shichimi togarashi
● ⅓ cup water
Instructions for the yucca fries:
1. Boil yucca uncovered in a large pot of water for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Keep completely submerged in water at all times. Add more water if it evaporates.
2. When the yucca begins to open up and spread out, remove it from the water. When slightly cooled to the touch, gently remove the center membrane from each piece as it is indigestible.
3. Break the yucca into long strips organically using your hands. Cut any larger pieces with a knife to keep all pieces uniform.
4. Heat canola oil to 365₀ degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Dredge the yucca strips in the gluten free flour, gently pressing to let it stick. Shake off any excess flour.
6. In batches, fry the yucca strips in the hot canola oil until golden on the outside, approximately 5 – 8 minutes.
7. Remove from the oil and transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with the spice mix immediately. Garnish with scallion and jalapeno slices.
Instructions for the Asian-inspired dipping sauce:
1. In a small container with a lid, add all of the dipping sauce ingredients and shake vigorously. Transfer to a small serving bowl. Set aside.