The United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers, and Allied Workers, Local Union No. 8, based in Long Island City, New York, will conduct recruitment for 25 apprentice positions from March 13 through March 24.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE UNION NEWS.
Only 250 applications will be accepted, on a first-come, first-served basis, for a total of 10 business days or until 250 applications have been submitted, whichever comes first. Applications must be completed and submitted online only at www.roofers8.org, from 8 a.m. on March 13, 2023, through 11:59 p.m. on March 24.
- Be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and before enrollment in an apprenticeship.
- Have completed at least a 10th-grade education or higher education or GED. All proof of education must be original copies and no online diplomas will be accepted. Proof will be required after selection and before enrollment in an apprenticeship.
- Attest in writing that they are physically able to perform the work of a roofer, which includes working from ladders and scaffolds from 6 feet in height up to and including buildings of more than 50 floors; lifting materials and equipment (such as roofing and waterproofing materials) weighing up to 65 pounds for extended periods of time; repetitive bending and kneeling; having manual dexterity and range of motion; working in extreme weather conditions, such as heat, cold, and wind; and performing strenuous manual labor, such as roof removal, roof replacement, and removal of roofing debris over extended periods of time.
- Have reliable transportation to and from various work sites and required classes at the approved school.
- Pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and before enrollment in an apprenticeship.
- Reside in the jurisdiction of Local Union #8 at the time of application, which includes the counties of New York, Kings, Queens, Bronx, Richmond, Westchester, Rockland, Sullivan, Dutchess, Ulster, Orange, and Putnam, as well as east of the Hackensack River in Hudson County, New Jersey.
- Have proof of minimum qualifications in the form of original documents (no online diplomas will be accepted) that must be submitted at time of enrollment in an apprenticeship.
For further information, applicants should contact United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers, and Allied Workers, Local Union #8, at 718-361-1169.