The grieving parents of Nolan Xavier Wells — a Black 18-year-old who died July 4th weekend in Mississippi — described their painful ordeal to a gathering of Black journalists in Atlanta last week, saying it is “definitely getting harder” as they continue to seek answers behind their son’s death while celebrating with three other friends, who were white.

“That realization is really sinking in that we don’t have our son physically here anymore,” said Christine Wonsley, tearfully at a press conference held at the NABJ convention in Atlanta on August 13. “And I think a lot of people have forgotten the only thing we want to know is what happened. That’s all we want to know is what happened to our son.”

Wonsley and her husband Elmore were joined by renowned civil rights activist Reverend Al Sharpton and attorney Ben Crump at the 2026 National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) Convention, a forum historically known for platforming newsmakers — particularly those of interest to the African American community.

Wells was a graduate of Ocean Springs High School and a football player at Southwest Mississippi Community College. Wells would have turned 19 on August 19. His family organized a national prayer vigil for his birthday to honor his memory.

“Nolan brought light to our family. He was the fun in it. And with his birthday coming up, like my wife said, we have to deal with a new normal,” said Elmore Wonsley. “We just want the truth. We just want to know what any other parent would want to know. We are asking the questions any parent would ask.”

The Associated Press reported Wells traveled by boat with a group of white friends to Horn Island, which is federal property off the Mississippi Gulf Coast, on July 4. He was last seen on the island at approximately 3 p.m. and did not return to the mainland with the group. His mother reported him missing that night, and his body was recovered near the island on July 6. Jackson County Sheriff John Ledbetter said there was no suspicion of “foul play.”

However, many Black-led organizers and social media noted that circumstances leading up to Wells’ disappearance are still unknown. The Mississippi medical examiner has not released the results of the official state autopsy. An independent autopsy, commissioned by the family and paid for by former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, showed no evidence of fractures or deep tissue injuries, and described a “red discoloration” on the back of Wells’ skull as “inconclusive.” This was performed after the state autopsy, which may have complicated results, according to the AP report.

“Our lives have forever changed. This new normal is something I would never wish on anyone, not even my worst enemy. The hurt that we feel daily, the conversations that we have to have, not just with each other, but also with our other children as they are grieving as well,” Christine Wonsley said.

At present, Crump’s team is conducting an independent investigation and pressing for a forensics review of Wells’ phone. Sharpton has promised a $100,000 reward for any new information about Wells’ death. Half of which will be covered by filmmaker Tyler Perry, who also paid for the funeral. An additional $25,000 was promised by former NFL player Terrell Owens.

“Somebody knows something. Somebody saw something…we need you to give us a voice in the tradition of Ida B. Wells. We can’t have the police just writing the narratives and the reports,” said Crump.

“They didn’t ask to be public figures. They only are trying to get justice for their son,” said Sharpton, referring to the attacks Wells’ parents have personally and professionally received.

“We find ourselves asking the same questions. How did it happen? Why did it happen? This family stands here demanding answers. This family deserves answers. I myself sought the same justice for my son Jordan that they’re seeking for theirs,” said Georgia Rep. Lucy McBath, who is the mother of the late Jordan Davis, a young Black man shot to death in 2012 by a white man at a Florida gas station. She is calling for a full federal investigation by FBI director Kash Patel.

“They deserve answers, and they deserve justice,” said McBath. “Justice that should not be denied this family or should ever be denied to any of our children or lost loved ones.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *